Pages

19 August 2011

Raksha bandhan( u guessed it!! feminist rant)

I dont like Raksha Bandhan. I find it sexist! ( Aiyo! sikkapatte kopa nange, Indian Culture bagge! Very sexist culture it is!! I want to let go of anger. Anger = something's there which needs to be understood/resolved. Want to transition from being angry to being understanding. But sex ratio of 700:1000 seriously put me right back on feminist anger track..so I rant and vent)
Raksha bandhan... I want to think - sweet festival and all! showing brother love? I like showing love for family brother mother parents etc...(yeah I do as long as its not soppy :P) but Does it have to be demeaning... Always? Why does every "showing love" look to  me, suspiciously like re-enforcing man's higher place in the social hierarchy?   Why do Indian festivals/customs always insist on demeaning and degrading women( and sometimes men) to show love? God! their concept of love is more like Dog->human love. I love dogs but lets face it - Its meaningless devotion.
Eat ur husbands left overs/fast/fall at his feet/burn urself.. true lowe itseems all that is! Crap.
Brother - ask him for protection itseems!! Arrey If u are a self respecting brother, Please teach such sisters to protect themselfs in life! and to earn for themseves! because boss there is no big brother holding a safety net in real life! and sometimes u fall!  and this is a good excuse to fleece him of money! As if brother paying for big dowry and grand wedding aren't enough! again that is our definition of brotherly lowe! Sacrifice! How I hate that concept!
Diwali - all men in the family will get one Arati! why? Its always establishing strict hierarchy than anything else... sometimes men are not spared.. like brother in law expected to fall at elder brothers wives feet!
Its not just these feminist things,  exchanging obligatory gifts ...again people say its love, its not! its formality. people keep track of what all gifts were received and the cost of the gifts! in writing! no less!!
Everyone sees this, but everyone defends all this culture. ( but everyone sees evil  in others culture :-) like north Indian will see evil south Indian culture and vice versa :-) how come? how come you dont get angry about all this like me? how come girls feel pride and joy in doing Arati? In saying protect me? (eww.. he he he  I think its my tomboy instincts that make me go eww... :D ) anyway...
I loved JK for saying this that society expects to keep everyone on a tight leash, wants to kill independent thinking,creativity and freedom. It tries to leash us at our conscience... make us feel guilt for free thinking. because free thinking is danger to the society.

2 comments:

  1. Holy shit. Brothers wanting to protect sisters is sexism? Wtf?? No wonder it’s considered feminists are hell bent on destroying the family. At least indian festivals understand masculinity and femininity, Take your gender-social-construction claptrap somewhere else. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. somewhere else? like from my blog? :-D LOL!
    1 comment after so many years and like this! :D

    ReplyDelete